Thursday, October 4, 2018

July: Random Facts and Fun

The rest of July was hot and so we did some swimming, a lot of hanging out inside and playing games and a few adventures to pass the final weeks of summer. 


 Joseph and Jon needed to visit a fire station to pass off their fire safety merit badge. We ended up going to the one where they train for water rescues and it was SO cool! This boat has wheels so that it can drive on land and then drive straight into the water - no boat ramp needed. 
 We decided to take at treat to the fire station to say thank you. We made cornbread and honey butter. We took a pan to them and we had a pan at home. It was sitting on the stove and I turned on the wrong burner and that glass pan got so HOT. Arabella smelled something funny while we were all sitting at the table reading scriptures and she went to see what was going on. I followed her and realized what had happened. I picked up the pan (using hot pads of course) and made it from the stove to the table when the pan began to crack and then it exploded. Gratefully, everyone had gotten up from the table to see what was happening at the stove and so nobody was sitting there. Glass went everywhere and it was so hot that it started to make the table and floor smoke. I started brushing pieces around so that they did not start a fire. Everyone was so quick to obey - Joseph ran to get me shoes and Jon ran to get a broom, Peter ran to get his own shoes and then picked me up and moved me out of the mine field as it was (I was just in my socks). Needless to say it was crazy and scary but we were all really sad to have lost a whole pan of cornbread-  ha ha!  

 I had to get new tires on my car and when I went into the store the guy he started helping me was so insistent that I looked like Marilu Henner to the point that he pulled up a picture of her to show me. I can actually see the resemblance. He was really funny about it. 










 We needed an adventure and so I packed the kids up and we headed to Dinosaur Valley State Park down in Glen Rose. We have been meaning to go here for years and just never made it. It was hot and the kids were not in love with the hiking but it was really cool to see the actual Dinosaur foot prints still in the ground. I hope my kids don't get too old to go on outings with me or their family. 




 Another Saturday, we were in need of a family adventure and so we headed to Little Elm Beach Park. We had a fantastic time playing in the sand and the water and then the sand a bit more. Peter made us a water trail from the water to our pop-up canopy because the sand was so hot. 
 A few years ago I realized that if I stacked all of our pillows just right, they would make a kind of wall for me to sleep in the "shadow" of after I have worked all night. It is a bit silly I know but I mentioned it to Peter and since then, he always stacks the pillows for me. He is such a great man- I love him. A little follow up to this picture is that I shared it on Instagram to brag about Peter, well my amazing brother Derick ordered and shipped to me a sleep mask that I must say is truly wonderful! 
 And finally, there was a day that it was not 100 degrees so after Peter came home from work we headed to the park for a little bit of fresh air and exercise. It is hard to make your kids do anything outside when it is so crazy hot but they did enjoy themselves at this park. 
And that folks finishes up July (in October, oy!)!

No comments: