Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A great day except for that one thing

Peter left for scout camp yesterday morning at 3:00 am. 
Our morning started pretty well. Everyone was well rested.
I made a list of chores and gave assignments. There was a reward of going to the movies to work for.



As you can see, the kids did great. We also cleaned the bathrooms and changed the sheets. 
We had made our goal and so we headed to the movie!
And then the fated intersection. Yes, the same one I was rear ended at 2 1/2 years ago. 
It is an on ramp intersection to the one way frontage road that leads to the freeway. The police had a lane coned off and their car in the road, not sure why- I never got up there to see.  The cars were coming up at a fairly regular speed but then slowing quickly so I waited for a good opening and pulled out. I could not go too fast since the lane you have to merge into was slowed down due to the police. I was about to get all the way over when BAM! I was rear ended. She said she was sorry and that she had been watching the cars in the other lanes and did not see me- obviously! The kids were all frightened and Jon and Arabella who sit in the very back hit their heads on their headrests. My rear door won't open.  Texas is a not fault state or something like that so I did not bother calling the police (well actually I did long enough to verify that having them come out would do nothing). We exchanged information and we headed to the movie. Now, we really deserved a reward. 
I loved it! The kids loved it! We met some friends which made it even more fun! 
Family is really what it is all about. It was a good time for me to reflect on how grateful I was that none of us were hurt and really that the car was not damaged more (well I hope it is not going to be too bad). I thought a great deal about the roles we play in families. I reflected on the priesthood blessing Peter gave to me before he left. When we got home I made a few phone calls to the insurance and car repair place.  Then, I told the kids about some of the thoughts I had and that in the scriptures we read so often of families and individuals giving thanks after good times and bad.  I told them about the blessing their dad had given to me and how very thankful I was for our safety and then we knelt as a family and gave thanks. I was so thankful for the chance to teach and testify to my children. 
Today, I took the van in to get fixed (no time to waste we leave in just over 3 weeks for Utah). 
And my rental car looks very much like the one below- Chevy Traverse. It is really nice there are a lot of things I like about it but I don't know for sure if I would buy one- the jury is still out. 
The car repair place told me 5-7 days. I have my fingers crossed.
I am pretty sure that the rest of my week without Peter can only get better and yet I am thankful for what this experience allowed me to learn and teach my children.

No comments: