Friday, July 3, 2015

New Orleans

Peter travels a lot and therefore, he earns all  kind of travel points- air, hotel, rental car. 
For the third year now, he has earned a companion pass.  This means that if he flies, I fly free. 
I know that sounds incredible but it only is incredible if you use it. 
It took some planning but we made it work for us to go out of town for just over 48 hours and it was well worth the effort. New Orleans was the perfect getaway!
Friday we went to plantations: Oak Alley and Houmas House.
The oak trees in front of Oak Alley were undeniably impresseive as was some of the items inside. I also enjoyed the restored slave quarters with the information in them.

Houmas House was enchanting.
The current owner lives there and has gone to great lengths to restore it. 
I was actually allowed to play the Steinway Piano in it. 
The gardens were so beautiful!
The picture 2nd from the right is a vampire slaying kit. 
We also had lunch with our dear friends Andy and Lindsey Maas. 
The company was the best part - so great to catch up. I am sad we did not take a picture.
The food was delicious too and my first time eating oysters- better than I thought they would be. 
Saturday we spent time at the French Market and driving by some of Peter's old stomping grounds (aka his old schools).  We also went on a swamp tour which was really cool! Yes, we were that close to the alligator.  We then ate at this middle of nowhere restaurant and it has ruined all other fish tacos for me. They were so good. Driving across Lake Pontchartrain at dusk and early sunset was beautiful!
I know there have already been a ton of pictures but here are a few from my phone. 
We used Peter's rental car points and for $10 more a day we were able to upgrade to a convertible! Totally worth it! The weather was perfect and we drove with the top down everywhere.

 The mighty Mississippi River behind us. 

 And of course, no trip to New Orleans is complete without beignets. We enjoyed them Friday and Saturday nights. 
I loved spending some quality time with this amazing man! He works so hard for our family and tries so hard to give his family quality time though there are many demands for his time. He is my greatest blessing! I love you Peter! I don't know when or where our next trip will be but I am sure it will be fantastic!

No comments: