Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Post-Op

Today was an early morning, 4:15 wake up.
We left by 5:00 and my dear friend Amanda was here to get my kids up, dresses, fed, to school and preschool and to play with Lily until our return.
We made it to the hospital by 5:25 and were checked in by 5:45.
I was all decked out in hospital gown, blue gripper socks and IV in place by 6:30.
I said my good byes to Peter and was given some magical drug by 7:30 and do not even remember leaving my pre-op room.
Peter was given a page (yes, they give the family a pager so they can be updated during procedures) at 7:52 that the surgery was started.
By 9:25 I was in a recovery room and feeling a bit groggy and like the room was moving somehow in slow motion or underwater. Weird. But I was at least able to comprehend what my sweet and amazing doctor, Dr. Nazarian told me. She was able to remove what I was affectionately calling my BFF but was really a rather large and not going away ovarian cyst.  She also said that it was somewhat attached to my fallopain tube and in the end it was removed as well. She was concerned that if she left it there was a very high likelihood that it would lead to an ectopic pregnancy. I am good with her choice to take it. 
By 9:45, Peter was by my side again.
It took me 2 bottles of water, 5 small apple juices, and over a liter of IV fluid and 3 attempts to go to the bathroom which was my ticket to ride so to speak.  Finally, about 12:15 I had success. 
I was dressed and discharged and home by 1:10. 
I am so thankful to my friends that have helped me yesterday and today. I am thankful for a good home teacher who came to assist in giving me a blessing. And I am thankful for the prayers that were offered by more than a few people. You are all great. I have rested today and intend to rest tomorrow. 
The hospital I was at was one of the swankiest hospitals I have ever been to. If you would like to see some pictures of it go here. The staff were amazing and so very kind. It was clean and just an all around fabulous experience.  If I ever need surgery again (hopefully never) and can choose where I have it I would go there if I could.
(I did not go like this into it but I would have preferred not to have had to have it at all. But, since I did, I am so glad it was a good experience.)

No comments: