Thursday, November 29, 2018

Veteran's Day, Volunteering, and Vacation Preparation

Valley Ridge Elementary always does an assembly in honor of Veteran's Day. This year, Arabella and Jon were performing in it so I made sure to attend. This assembly always gets to me. My emotions run high as I think of all of the millions of men and women who so bravely served and even died for our country. They deserve our every honor and respect and gratitude always. I hope that my children gain a bit of an understanding of the value of these men and women as they have the chance to participate in these assemblies. We are blessed to have veteran's in our family and I am thankful for them. 


 Okay this is no Veteran's day, volunteering, or vacation prep but we had a lovely spontaneous lunch date at a yummy restaurant. It is always a good day when I get a little extra time with this guy. 


 I was able to sign up our whole family for a volunteer opportunity through another church. We made these meal kits that are sent to poor areas around the world and areas that have been affected by natural disasters. By the time the day arrived, Joseph had a robotics competition all day and Arabella had a fever (Samantha was too young). So The four of us had a great time. That little Lily did not mess around. She took her assignment seriously. Jon was a great help too. Peter carried a whole lot of beans and rice to all of the different stations. I look forward to doing this again in the Spring. 



And for vacation prep we celebrated Thanksgiving early (Sunday) so that we could experience the traditional meal. We did not go all out - no rainbow jello or homemade rolls and we did salad instead of green bean casserole. I actually just finished using the last of the leftover frozen turkey tonight for dinner. These people are my world and I am so thankful for the life we have! We had also done a fair amount of laundry and packing to get ready for our trip, especially since I was working Sunday and Monday nights - then we left Tuesday morning once I was home and we were loaded. 

No comments: