Sunday, January 22, 2017

Christmas Eve 2016

As has been shown in years past, we have a tradition of eating food from another country on Christmas Eve (or New Years if Mom works).  We did not want to let that tradition slide just because we were visiting family. 
My family was wonderful and joined us in a Harry Potter (or British food) Christmas Eve party.

Malisa expertly handled the wand making and had several helpers.
We also had quill making and origami owl folding. 
Quidditch practice... oh wait that is just the new foosball table that the kids loved playing on.

Oh and of course the food was delicious. We sorted everyone with cupcakes that had different color m & ms in them.  And we feasted on drumsticks, roast, mashed potatoes, corn, rolls, relish tray, jello salad, yorkshire pudding, salad, and other fantastically delicious things! I was so thankful for everyone's willingness to join in and help out.

After dinner we turned to a more spiritual note and read the nativity and acted it out. We sang a few songs too- it was wonderful! 
 Lily was Mary and she took her job so seriously. She had the below serene, humble smile on her face the whole time.  As I watched her act so calm and not so bold and sassy like she usually is I realized that she understood.  She understood what it meant for Mary that night to become the mother of Jesus, our Savior.  She is only 5 and so maybe she does not understand on the same level as an adult but she definitely knew this was something sacred. 
 (She did not appreciate when Samantha snuck up and literally tossed a second doll in to the manger.)
 The angels singing to the shepherds! 
 She is one of my precious angels! 
And of course, the wisemen, baring their gifts. 
I was so thankful to share this spiritual moment with my family- we were all there! I don't know when that will happen again and for me it happens so rarely that I see them.  They are good, strong, hardworking, kind, loving, and serving people. They enrich my life even though I live so far away from them.  They represent our family name well and I pray that I do the same. I am honored to call them my family.
Oh, these 2 beautiful, special people. 
I am who I am because of the foundation they gave to me and the love, lessons, and example they offered to me. The world is a better place because of them! 
 Since we were ALL there we snapped a photo- we are a good looking bunch....
with just a splash of wild and crazy! 

No comments: