Monday, January 23, 2017

Christmas 2016

I am not going to caption each picture here but it was a wonderful morning! 
We actually woke the kids up about 6:30 am so that we could get presents opened and get ready for church - we went with Grandma and Grandpa Rabner and Uncle Ben. I honestly think the thing that made me the most excited was that we went to bed about 11:30 and it was just starting to lightly snow and when we awoke there were inches of snow on the ground! It was so beautiful! 





 Grandma and Grandpa were troopers. 
 New Ken dolls and Ken clothes- they were so excited. 
 Wonder at each other's new treasures. 
 Samantha was ready to get dressed right then. And wanted to instantly play with each toy she opened. 


 These three were given the gift of a half day ski lesson and a half day of skiing with us while we were in Utah. Those pictures and that story are to come but I do believe they were excited. 

 Not a great picture but Peter's sister Kelsey sent us Chicago Blackhawks clothes so that we can wear them to the Hockey game that we have tickets to in February Blackhaws vs. Dallas Stars.
 The other mega nerf gun with interchangeable parts to go with the one he got for his birthday! 
 This tent and sleeping bag combo were the gift of the holiday though.  Samantha instantly loved it, wanted to be in it and actually slept in it the rest of the trip.  It was set up in the living room and even with lot of people over she would climb in and zip it up and fall asleep. We called it her tent of solitude or her sanctuary.  She ended up being sick for a good part of our trip and so extra sleep was definitely needed and somehow this is where she found it.  She is still sleeping in this tent about 50% of the time at home.  It is easy to kind of fold up and we keep it behind her crib and can pop it up anytime she wants it. 

 I told you there were inches of snow! 
This is Joseph using the snowblower, which may have been his most favorite Christmas present. 
When we first woke up the kids we told Joseph it had snowed and we had to shovel before we could open presents.  He flew out of his bed and was so excited to get started.  We did not in fact make them do that, we opened presents first. 
 After snow removal, we got ready for church and went to church. It was lovely! I love Christmas on a Sunday. As Mormons, we do not do the midnight mass or Christmas service thing unless Christmas is on a Sunday.  It seems like it is the ideal day to worship our Savior and partake of the sacrament and reflect upon his life! So thankful for Him. 
 After church, we went back to my parents house to change, removed a little more snow and returned to Peter's parents house. 
 We opened gifts and the kids had a great time the rest of the day playing with the things they were given. We also ate some delicious food! If you are ever invited to eat at my in-laws, you should say yes. They ALL know how to cook wonderfully! 
I wish I had taken more pictures but I just enjoyed the day really.
I wish I had a picture of Max (Grandpa Rabner) with his snowblower or snow shovel.  For as long as I have known my in laws, they have done snow removal for at least 4-5 people every storm.  I remember Peter telling me about doing it as a teenager for the widows they home taught and getting up super early before school to get it done.  This was something Peter was taught by example.  He was taught to do it happily, willingly, and without hesitation.  He was taught to do this by his Dad. When I learned of this action (and the countless Sunday meals I have seen plated and delivered by Max over the years often before eating his own), I knew that I was marrying into a good family. I knew that I was marrying a man that knew and understood what service was and that it is never ending. I am so thankful for his parents who taught him what it was to love and serve as our Savior did and does. Yes, Christmas was a great day! 

No comments: