Saturday, December 8, 2012

My Little Missionary

Last night Joey had a black belt induction ceremony. 
It was a really neat ceremony with a lot of bowing, candles, recognition, gifts and tea.
That is where my proudest moment came.

 Before it started, since it was to be completely quiet during the ceremony, they gave insructions.
One was that at a certain point they would each be given a small cup of tea and then they would all drink together. I had seen a teapot and wondered if it was part of it and then when I heard the instructions I thought I will need to go and ask if Joey can have something else.
But, I did not need to worry because Joey was raising his had before the instructor was finishing his instructions.  They called on him and he said something like this (I could not hear it perfectly): I don't drink tea. (A look or puzzlement from the teachers.)  See, I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and Jesus has told us not to drink coffee or tea. (A more puzzled look from the instructors at Joey and then at me and at each other.) When I was looked at I affirmed what Joey had told them. 
They then looked at each other and one said Well, you can just pretend to drink it.  Then the head instructor said they would just prefill one a cup with water for him.
Joey is regularly a good boy and I have plenty of reasons to be proud of him but I don't know that I have ever felt more proud of him and his choices! 

 My next proud mom moment came when it was time for Joey to present his gift to his instructor (that is him walking up to do it).They were supposed to explain what their gift was and why they were giving it to their instructor, what it symbolized about their journey to becoming a black belt. 
Joey had written a note to his instructor telling him why he had chosen his gift.  That is what I expected to hear from Joey but that is not what he did.
He stood in front of everyone and explained about that he was giving cookie cutters to Mr. Coleman.  He then started to talk about the things you can do with cookie cutters and that they are fun.  I have to admit I was a bit panicked because he seemed to be rambling a bit but then he brought it all together.
He said they were ninja shaped cookie cutters (which they were in 3 different poses) and that they represented how Mr. Coleman had helped him to make his stances better so he could get his black belt.
It was amazing- and even more so when I think that just last summer he was in speech therapy learning about social skills and social speaking behaviors. 
They finished the ceremony by signing a scroll and drinking their tea and sounding a gong.
I finished the night with a heart so full. 
As we learned that Joey had Asperger's, I remembering thinking about what my greatest dreams and desires for his life were. I wanted him to: be happy, be a missionary, have a family of his own, and be able to function in this world successfully.
My heart is filled with hope and assurance after watching him and hearing him last night. He is happy, he has a testimony and desire to follow the teachings of Jesus, and he will be successful!
Joey I am so proud of you and all that you do and desire to do!

2 comments:

Cristi L. said...

That's so AWESOME!! Good job Joey and good job parents!!

Amanda Miller said...

So proud of Joey! He's so lucky to have such wonderful parents!