Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Memories

As I have been going over Christmas lists in my head, I kept thinking of how I did not have much for "Santa" to bring to Peter or I. Peter is remaking some cabinets into a sewing table for me but the kids have been watching the process.  Most of the things Peter wants are expensive and we just bought him some new camping equipment a few months ago and decided that is a great thing for Santa to set out for him. 
I am not complaining because I can not think of anything I really needed. There are things that I want but most are not things that could be left under a tree and are not meant to be because there is a different plan in store for me and my family.  Any how... this all got me thinking about my childhood and if I remembered what Santa brought to my parents.  
I do not remember and I would venture to guess that my kids could not tell you what I was given by Santa last year.  I do not think children are selfish for not recognizing this.  Kids become wrapped up in the excitement and joy of what Santa has brought to them.  
In my efforts to remember what my parents brought to me I had two specific Christmases come to mind.
First, I thought of the year I woke up early and peeked before everyone else woke up. I don't remember how old I was but we were still living on South Main and we had our gifts in the front room so I must have been about 7 or 8. I don't remember what I got that Christmas but I clearly remember sitting in the middle of the room was an electric typewriter. 
This is not the exact one but will help you envision the amazing technology of the day.

Second and more meaningful, was the year my dad took me with him to get a ring for my mom at BEST.
I can still so clearly see in my mind walking with my dad into the store and going over to the right to the jewelry counter.  It was a gold ring with a black oval shape on the front and a small diamond in the center. My dad was careful in his selection and I was so excited to see my mom open it on Christmas morning. I was likely only 6. Again, I am not totally sure what I received that year for Christmas but it may have been the year I got my Cabbage Patch Doll- fond memories of that moment!
I realized as I thought of this and as I have talked with my kids about "it is more important to give than to receive" why this is a great memory.
The times in my life when I have given a truly thought filled, love filled gift have stuck in my memory more than many of the gifts I received- no offense anyone. I can think of many gifts that were given to me that I knew were filled with love, thought and sincere intent.  This year one of the best gifts I have gotten was that someone did the 12 Days of Christmas to our family. I had thought of doing it to someone but my heart just was not in it. I was struggling to feel the magic and spirit of Christmas this year.  Then as the days went by and my kids would get so excited my heart was full. I was so touched that someone thought our family was worth the effort to do something out of the ordinary for. I needed it. I needed that extra little bit of love and attention and I did not realize it until it was given to me and my family. To our sweet secret Santa givers (as the kids called them), the Bjarnason's, you made my Christmas and lifted my spirits more than you will ever know! Merry Christmas!

No comments: