Friday, October 5, 2012

Flashback Friday

I found this at the grocery store today and had to buy it. 
It is a banana squash! 
Peter and I have tried growing this in Las Vegas and here in Texas without any luck- heat, squash bugs, etc.
This squash is a flashback because it fills me with memories of my childhood.
My parents have always had a garden and this has always- as far as I can remember- been in it.
My mom would usually cut it into pieces and steam it and them we would put butter, salt and pepper on it.  Oh the deliciousness! My mouth is watering. 
The funny thing is that I have mentioned this squash to people here and they have no idea what I am talking about unless they are from Utah.  Also, most people call squash bugs stink bug s or shield bugs. 
I remember my mom or dad saying that they were losing this squash plant or that one to squash bugs.  They would dust with sevin and squish them and sometimes save the plant.  
I love squash of all kinds! Finding this today has made me long for fall days in Utah but this weekend as I enjoy conference and now some tasty squash I will feel a bit more like I am there.

No comments: