Saturday, December 3, 2011

Nativity #1

Thursday night we stopped at a Community Nativity Presentation that is being held at the Carrollton Stake Center.  It was amazing and a perfect way to start my December.  They had over 700 different nativities set up in the cultural hall, including a live Mary and Joseph.  The curtains were open to the chapel and there was music being performed by different churches from around the communities.  The spirit was wonderful and it helped remind me what this season is really all about.  It caused me to reflect to more on my Savior and the importance of that night to mankind. 
So I have decided to try and make several posts related to the Nativity and the "characters" in it. But who to start with, the shepherds, the donkey, the innkeeper, Mary or Joseph. I believe I will start with the star.
The star was the physical sign given to all of the world by our Heavenly Father to honor the birth of his only begotten son. Coincidentally, I am reading in 3 Nephi right now in my scripture study.  In chapter 1, the unbelievers were ready to kill those that had believed in the signs that had not come for so long and the day before Nephi "cried mightily to his God in behalf of his people".  Then in v. 13 he gets a most glorious answer: "Lift up your head and be of good cheer; for behold, the times is at hand, and on this night shall the sign be given, and on the morrow come I into the world, to show unto the world that I will fulfill all that which I have caused to be spoken by the mouth of my holy prophets."
And then the sun went down and yet it did not get dark, it was light all night long.  "the sun did rise in the morning according to the proper order;" (v. 19). Verse 20: "And it had come to pass, yea, all things, every whit, according to the words of the prophets." And then there came a new star.  This cherished sign that brought hope to so many among the Nephites.  And it was a sign noticed by the shepherds and followed by the Wise men.  
I love the primary song "When He Come Again": "I wonder if one star will shine, far brighter than the rest.  Will daylight stay the whole night through?" It is really the second verse that causes me to wonder if I will be eager like the Nephites and the others who saw the sign: "I wonder when he comes again, will I be ready there to loo k upon his loving face and join with him in prayer?...Then when that blessed day is here he'll love me and he'll say, "You've served me well my little child; come unto my arms to stay!"
I am thankful for the star and the chance it gave to all of the world to know that the Savior was born!

No comments: