Sunday, December 25, 2011

Nativity #6


The Baby Jesus
He came to earth and lived a life just as each one of us.  He did not come down in adult form but came as a baby so that he could be raised, taught, loved, and so he could know what this life was about. Somehow I feel  this gives him even more compassion and understanding of our needs, trials, joys, and experiences.  And then when he went through the atonement He had his own life experiences to draw upon that I feel allow for even greater compassion.  
I imagine that Jesus was a very good baby and as a young child knew his purpose and was filled with wisdom likely beyond his years. His birth marked a great change in the world of religion it was the beginning of the end of the Mosaic law.  It was fulfilling the Father's plan.  
I had a coworker ask me if we believed in the Holy Trinity. I responded by reciting the first Article of Faith. And as I tried to explain to her why we knew that to be true I knew I was not convincing her.  I have done some additional contemplating and thought of several things. First, if they are one and the same then God would have been absent from the heavens while he was living on earth as Jesus- that just does not seem to make sense to me.  Second, when Jesus was baptized the Father spoke from heaven and the Holy Ghost descended as a dove- all three present at the same time in 3 distinct ways.  Third, when the Savior suffered in Gethsemane he prayed to "Abba" - daddy.  He was not praying to himself, he was praying to his father. And finally, as he hung on the cross he again communed with his Father- asking for forgiveness for those that were crucifying him and also telling him that it- the Atonement- was finished.  He was not speaking to himself.  
I know that there is a Heavenly Father that rejoiced at the birth of his only begotten son Jesus Christ because his life would lead to the redemption of his children and I know this by the witness of the Holy Ghost- 3 different beings but with one purpose.
I know my Savior lives and I am grateful for this holiday season where we reflect upon his birth and in doing that reflect upon his life and his teachings. 
In closing I share these words of President Monson from this year's Christmas Devotional:

"Because He came to earth, we have a perfect example to follow. As we strive to become more like Him, we will have joy and happiness in our lives and peace each day of the year. It is His example which, if followed, stirs within us more kindness and love, more respect and concern for others.
Because He came, there is meaning to our mortal existence.
Because He came, we know how to reach out to those in trouble or distress, wherever they may be.
Because He came, death has lost its sting, the grave its victory. We will live again because He came.
Because He came and paid for our sins, we have the opportunity to gain eternal life.
Because He came, we are gathered tonight to worship Him, in bonds of brotherhood and love.
May His precious Spirit be with us, and may He ever be the center of our celebrations and indeed of our very lives, I pray in His holy name, amen."


Merry Christmas!

No comments: