Saturday, December 24, 2011

Nativity #4 and #5

 So I had intended to make each of these a separate post but so goes life.
Mary and Joseph-I have thought a great deal of these two over the last few weeks.

Mary 
So young, so kind, so patient, so faithful, so pure, so loving- truly a queen among women.
I posted a song for the wise men and here I am posting one for Mary too.  This is a song by Faith Hill and I don't know if I had heard it before this year but when I heard it, it really hit me. 

Teenage girl, much too young
Unprepared for what's to come
A baby changes everything

Not a ring
On her hand
All her dreams and all her plans
A baby changes everything 

The man she loves she's never touched
How will she Keep his trust
A baby changes everything 

And she cries, oh she cries

She has to leave, go far away
Heaven knows she can't stay
A baby changes everything

Lyrics www.allthelyrics.com/lyrics/faith_hill/ 
She can feel it's coming soon
There's no place, there's no room
A baby changes everything 

And she cries and she cries O she cries

Shepherds all... gather 'round
Up above... a star shines down...

Choir of Angels say
Glory to the newborn king
A baby changes everything 
Everything, everything, every day
Hallelujah 

My whole life is turned around
I was lost but now I'm found
A baby changes everything 

I really thought a great deal about how young she was, that she traveled to a city she had possibly never been to before, she was about to give birth and she would not have the women of her family around her to help her in this process.  In my heart I hope that the Savior's actual birth was not terrible hard for her and in my heart I know that the love she and Joseph had for each other helped her. I am thankful for her righteousness and I hope that as I strive to be a better mother I can reflect some of what I think the mother of the Savior must have been. 


Joseph
I was thinking of him and I remember once many years ago calling him Jesus' father and being corrected.  It is true that he was not Jesus's biological father.  I also believe that Jesus had a closer relationship with our Heavenly Father than any of us (okay maybe not the prophet) but there are countless ways that I believe Joseph was a father figure to Jesus, almost like a foster or adoptive father is.  He loved Jesus and taught him- Jesus was called the carpenter's son by many.  Joseph was obviously faithful and righteous.  I believe he was a hardworking and loving man and understanding.  There are two songs I love that are focused around Joseph.  First, "I was not his father, He was mine" by Michael McLean from the Forgotten Carols and second, "When Joseph went to Bethlehem" from the Children's Songbook. 
(2nd verse)
"I think there at the busy inn that he was meek and mild and awed to be the guardian of Mary's sacred child.   Perhaps all through the chilly hours he smoothed the swaddling bands and Jesus felt the quiet strength of Joseph's gentle hands." 
(3rd verse)
"And close beside the manger bed, he dimmed the lantern's light and held the little Jesus close upon that holy night."
I don't remember when I had this thought but I remember a time when it occurred to me that Joseph would have needed to be equal to Mary in faith, righteousness, and love.  They were a good couple- loving and dedicated to one another and to their family.  

No comments: