Monday, April 25, 2011

Earth Day at the Zoo

We went to the zoo on Friday because the kids did not have school due to it being Good Friday. Well, I figured there would be a good number of people due to many schools being out but I had not thought of the field trips for those that were still in school or that it was Earth Day. We made good time to the Zoo but getting parked and into the zoo took forever. Oh well, we had fun and the kids did a really good job staying by me with the crowds.
"But mom this hole is so much more interesting the birds flying over my head."
My monkeys playing with the gorillas.
I have mentioned this animal to many of you and I wish the picture was better but here it is...the Okapi. It is the cousin to the giraffe due to its longer sloping neck and 12-18 inch long tongue. But yes those hind legs have zebra stripes. I think this is so cool!
"Please keep your hands inside of the monorail car due the pelican family (there were about 5 this close) sitting practically on the track." Yes, pelicans will bite fingers.
I have never seen an elephant with its legs crossed but there it is.
This is a harpy eagle but I always think of a hippogriff when I see it.
Jon is standing by a huge toad and I managed to capture a slightly toad like face.
This was the biggest hit! We only ended up with 30 minutes to play but they played hard. In fact I could no hardly get a picture of Jon he was moving so fast. That is him running off to the right of Arabella.
Joey going for a big jump!
Arabella and I sitting in the giant nest on the playground.
Zoo keeper Jon
Zoo keeper Joey
Zoo keeper Arabella!
We have one week left on our zoo pass and we may try for a last trip on Saturday with Daddy!

No comments: