Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Ouick Get Away- Oklahoma City

The kids had a long weekend due to the end of term and Good Friday.
I convinced Peter to let me take the kids to Oklahoma City for the two days.
He had to stay home and work which was sad but we had so much fun the kids have asked when we will get to go back.  I hope sooner rather than later because there was a lot to do.
 We left early on Thursday morning and drove to a train museum first.
Joseph will always love trains and due to that, I will too. 
It is like he is a little boy spouting all of the Thomas names and types of engines to me all over again. 

 Then we went to the Oklahoma City Zoo.
At first, it reminded me of the old Hogle Zoo, with exhibits that reminded me of my childhood.
Then as we traveled further/deeper into the zoo we found some amazing habitats. 
This zoo was impressive. And they had a baby elephant that was absolutely adorable- like the baby girl below!





 Memories anyone?!
 It was a beautifully warm day almost hot!
After the zoo, we hit Sonic for a drink, a little swimming in the pool and then dinner at Cici's pizza.
 Friday morning, we played at the Children's Science Museum and it was awesome!
 There were so, so many hands one exhibits that even though there were a lot of school kids there my kids still had a chance to get in on the action. 

 Imagine brushing those bad boys?!

 The space section was really neat but proved a bit much for Samantha. 

 We lost Lily just before this photo and gratefully a worker found her though the boys went one way and me and the other girls went the other.  The worker was impressed that Lily knew my name and what I was wearing. 

 More trains at the museum. 


 We ended our visit to Oklahoma City by visiting the memorial of the Oklahoma City bombing. 
It is a beautiful monument and it was just the 20th anniversary of the bombing last weekend (April 19th). I still remember this happening; such a tragedy. 
For the kids the trip was made complete by a stop at a Braum's for ice cream on the way home. 
Oklahoma City we had a great time and will certainly be visiting again. 

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Shell, I am so impressed that you braved taking kids on a trip by yourself! You are my hero... ;)