Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Last Week

Last week was our week of camps: Peter was at scout camp, Joey and Jon had Cub Camp Tuesday through Friday and the girls had Art Camp Monday through Thursday. Everyone was excited including me because I would have 3 mornings while the kids were at camps with the house to me and Samantha. 
Swaps were made and pinned to hats ready for trading.
 And then things went all wrong.  I should say that the Saturday before Jon became sick and stayed home from church on Sunday with a high fever and stomachache.  
He was better on Monday so we thought all was well and Peter got off to camp just fine. 
Tuesday morning we got the boys up and neither was feeling real well but Jon was so excited to go to camp that they decided to head off and if they felt bad the leaders could call me and I could go get them. 
Cub Camp started at 8:30 and at 11:00 I was called to come and get Jon who had been sleeping in the nurse's office since 9:30.  I arranged for a friend to pick up the girls and I drove the 30 minutes to pick him up. I had just gotten home and picked up the girls when they called and said that Joey, who had told me he had a headache while I was getting Jon, was now running a fever of 102.   Luckily one of the leaders was about to head home and so they were wondering if I minded them bringing Joey home, please, go right ahead.  
So the below picture is what took place the rest of Tuesday and Wednesday. Jon was feeling better by Wednesday night  and went back to camp for Thursday and Friday. 
Joey on the other hand was not getting better. He had only been able to keep down a serving of Jello and an otter pop here and there over the course of 3 days so I took him to the doctor on Friday.
 He looked awful and as a mother I felt awful because he did not even want to move but when your kids get this big there is no way for me to carry them.  He was going to have to go the ER if the strep and flu tests were negative but we lucked out if you can say that because the flu test was positive. 
WHAT the flu in June?! I gave Joey larger doses of nausea medication and he was finally able to keep some food down and within 24 hours was a totally different child, he was even jumping by Saturday evening. 

This was how I found Lily on Friday at dinner time. She was so tired or at least I thought, I should have known better. That night about 10:30 she came out of her room crying with a fever of 104.
 I called the pediatrician on Saturday morning and we started Lily and Arabella (preventative) on Tamiflu. 
Lily was so sleepy and threw up on Saturday but by Sunday she was doing better.
Arabella came in on Saturday night with a fever of 102.  We upped her dose of Tamiflu and she has been recovering but has seemed a bit worse than Lily. 

 I was really glad to have Peter home on Saturday from camp.  On Thursday night when I was cleaning up chicken noodle soup vomit off of the bathroom walls and toilet plunger (it may be the gross plunger but you can not leave thrown up noodles on it) because Joey did not get the toilet lid open in time, I was ready for Peter to be home. But then I thought to myself, what would it really change, there would still be vomit to clean up and the kids would still be sick.  I would still be their mother and bodily fluids and sick kids come with the territory; not the best part of motherhood but still my role to fulfill. 

We have been praying really hard that Samantha will not get sick (or me for that matter)!
The girls loved their camp and Jon loved cub camp, Peter loved his camp and Joey was sad to miss camp but felt to miserable to really care too much at the time. 
This week has to be better- Arabella was still bit under the weather yesterday and Lily was sleepy but today is a new day and I have high hopes!

1 comment:

Brady and Lindsay Wood said...

Oh yuck! I am so sorry that you had such a rough week. That does not sound fun at all but at least they all got it the same week so it can hopefully be over and done with instead of lingering for weeks with each kid getting it one week at a time. I hope you and Samantha stay healthy :) Loves