Thursday, July 4, 2013

Cub Camp 2013

Last week, we had Cub Scout Camp. 
I volunteered as the health officer and one day they found someone else to cover so that I could spend half of the day as a parent chaparone with Joey. 
 This year it was Tuesday through Friday from 3-8 pm.
It ended up being the hottest week we have had this summer. 
 There is a children's class for the potty trained children of those parents walking with cub scouts and other leaders volunteering. Arabella went everyday to the class, Jon went on Wednesday and Friday- the other days he went to a friend's so he could attend track practice, and Lily was babysat by one of our ward den leaders who could not attend due to health issues. 
 Joey had a really good time. He was able to make some fun things like a bird feeder and a bracelet and a small (film canister) first aid kit.
Arabella played in water, made crafts, watched a movie, colored and met new friends.
Jon had a good time too the days he was there. 
I really enjoyed myself too. It was good to put my education to use in a different way. 
I also learned a few things. A non-LDS group of people were in charge of the camp this year, which is different than the last 3 (or more) years. I did not attend any of the early meetings but I heard that there was some issues but did not know the whole story. Well, it became clear early in the week that some of the LDS leaders had given the director and others a hard time and the director had a hard time getting LDS volunteers. Her daughters were the ones that ran the children's class and one of them had been told they were dressed inappropriately by a LDS leader- she was wearing soccer shorts and had her sleeves on her t-shirt tucked up like a tank top.  She was really upset. There were a few other things I witnessed and heard that in the end made it clear that this group of leaders (mostly women) did not have a good feeling towards the LDS church.
They did not know I was LDS but by the end of the week I knew I needed to say something. I was not angry I believe the best way to describe my emotions would be embarrassed-not for being LDS but for the way some people I knew had portrayed the church. 
On the final day, as I was signing out with the director, I told her that I felt I needed to apologize for the way she had been treated. I told her I was LDS and that I thought she had done a really good job with the camp. I told her that I had not had any problem with the way her girls had dressed or acted. I told her I was really sorry if she had not felt support from the LDS packs especially since we made up at least 2/3 of the boys there. I tried to explain to her that our doctrine teaches us to serve, to be kind, to try and follow the example of our Savior.
She was really kind. She asked a few questions about our different programs. She explained what had happened from her point of view and why she felt things had happened the way they did. 
All in all, I am really glad I went in with an open mind and acknowledged the efforts they were making. Most importantly, I am glad I took the chance to defend the church or at least to stop this group from having a negative opinion about the church. 
I realized that scouting is an open door for missionary opportunities but only if the interactions between LDS and non-LDS are good ones. I accept that they may not always be that way but I do hope that the LDS troops, packs, crews, or leaders will always be the ones to take the high road and emulate our Savior and his teachings in all that they do and say. 

No comments: