Friday, March 1, 2013

Flashback Friday

I was thinking about where I had left off when I was doing this awhile ago and realized that I had recommitted myself to keeping a journal around the time Jon was born. I dug it out and here is some of what I wrote on Feb. 22, 2006:
"Well, Jonathon was blessed on Sunday and it all went very well. Peter gave a simple and beautiful blessing.  We were lucky to have our families come and visit for the occasion.  Jana and Randy didn't come due to Sadie being so little.  Tom had to work but Malisa and the kids came.  It was so much fun to see everyone.  The kids are all growing and getting so big in the way they act.  
Joey had fun playing with everyone.  We all went to the park on Saturday and had pizza for lunch. That night Peter and Joey went with his family down to the strip and the Hard Rock Cafe for dinner. I went with my family and Jonathon shopping to the outlets and Islands for dinner."
I continue to share details of comings and goings of various family members and where we ate.

"Peter has been really busy at work-putting lots of extra hours.  He told me they were going to be really busy these next few months.  He just got a raise so he is now making $--,---/yr. We are excited! That means there is less stress for me to work so many hours.  We have done fairly well living on just Peter's paycheck."  --I think I would cry if Peter were only making that now but I know we would make it because we know how to work together and are much better at budgeting.

"Peter has gone to meet his home teaching companion and families.  We are getting to know more and more people in the ward.  It is good. Joey, Jonathon, and I have been going to park day and that has really helped.  Well, Joey is playing with the vacuum and Jonathon will want to eat soon."

It is so interesting to read this think back to that time. I remember I had begun leaving my scriptures and journal on the kitchen table.  That way they were "in the way" and harder to ignore. I was pretty consistent at writing once a week for quite some time. Now I wish I would have recorded different things. I wish there was less travel log and more about what the boys were doing and what they were saying and truthfully more raw emotion. I think I often held back in my journal and at times (you may not believe it) in my blog on writing about what I am really feeling for fear that I will hurt, offend, or discourage someone. 

The more time I spend doing and teaching Family History the more I consider what it is that I want preserved for my posterity.  What do I want them to know about me? What has inspired me about the stories I know of my ancestors? For those of you who might read this blog, I would encourage you to consider what it is you want your posterity to know, remember or be inspired by. I share a few things:
1. Tell of what everyday life is filled with.
2. Share the occasional trend of the era.
3. Do not be afraid to share your failures and what you gained from them.
4. Share your testimony.
5. Tell of your own childhood.
6. Share the things you love to do and why.
7. Maybe include a favorite recipe (even if it is only 3 or 4 ingredients).
8.  Tell a story of your parents and your grandparents.

I am sure there are more but I am going to strive to be better about sharing these things, I hope.

No comments: