Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Happy, Happy Birthday Peter Dear!

Today is Peter's birthday and we have not been separated for this day since he was on his mission so I send this blog with love to my love in Dallas! Isn't he just the sweetest looking baby! It is hard to see but I like that Peter had his signature mole on his left cheek even when he was a baby!
Peter has a great family! They have some of the most amazing stories of the adventures they have had living in 4 states and well 6 kids is an adventure itself. Peter is the middle holding his sister Lindsay if you can't tell.
I know there are many of you out here laughing at this photo but I remember this night almost like it was yesterday! Peter was brave enough to ask me to the Sweetheart's Dance our junior year (1996). I had a state swim meet that day and night so he being the self confident sole that he is came and sat by my family and watched my meet. I raced home and changed and then we had a fabulous night of dinner and dancing. I remember when he took me home and it was a chilly night but the stars were shining bright and I knew that he was someone amazing. I had immense respect for him and cherished his friendship.
Wrestling+cross country + track= this hunk! Peter apparently did not like to wear shirts when he was younger and there are quite a few shirtless pictures but this is one of my favorites!
Peter reading his mission call on Christmas Eve. He was so excited to serve a mission. The Lord really knows each one of us because Peru was the perfect mission for Peter.
Valentine's Day just before Peter left on his mission.

Peter leaving for his mission. He was so pumped up and truly full of the spirit! I remember Peter's mother telling me, on the day he was ordained an elder, that when he was born she knew she held a wise old spirit. His parents always felt that he would be a strong missionary and they were right. I have come to cherish Peter for his wisdom and his testimony. In high school, I was so impressed by his knowledge of the scriptures.
Despite the appearance of this picture, Peter really did work hard as a missionary!
He is beaming with the spirit!

At the airport when he came home! He is beaming again and I like to think that it is because I am there. Peter did not waste anytime letting me know he was still interested. He was released that evening and kissed me that night. His canteen was dry.
Can you believe that just a few months after this picture I married this crazy guy?! My roommates were the witnesses to countless such occasions. He was a wrestler and I must have looked like a willing competitor but I never won. Looking at this picture I can hear him laughing!
I love this man! He is a fabulous husband and a great father. Our kids have missed him so much over the last 4 weeks. Friday can not get here soon enough for any of us. This has been a hard year for Peter but he has faced the challenges with faith, humility, courage and strength. Peter truly is my rock. Have a great day Peter E! I love you!

3 comments:

Heather Wihongi said...

What a great blog post, Shellie! (And yes, I remember those wrestling matches of yours all too well, as I am sure do Ray, Wend, Paula, and LJ.) You and Peter are such an amazing, spiritual couple. . .how fun to have so many years of memories together. Happy birthday to you, Peter, and thanks to both of you for your friendship!

Kelsey Booth said...

Love the pics...happy birthday Peto!

Lindsey said...

So cute; Ben asked if he was one of our missionaries we have now. :) Happy Birthday!