Sunday, September 16, 2018

July: Rabner Family Reunion Day 3

We took a few family pictures before we took the tour of Carthage Jail on Monday morning but I never ended up with those pictures. I will have to hunt a few of them down from someone. 

 We were able to keep the photo bombers at bay long enough to get a family picture. 

 The gang is all here- not all looking or maybe happy about it but we were all there to see where the Prophet Joseph Smith sealed his testimony with his blood. 
 After lunch at a park, we headed to the sites in Nauvoo that are owned by the Church of Christ (formerly the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints).The above picture is a re-enactment of a picture 9 years ago. I later discovered the original had the boys siting on the other side but it is crazy how much they have grown. 

 I pray my girls gain a firm testimony of the gospel and their role as a woman in it and therefore a testimony of the Relief Society. I love this organization and I will cherish this photo of me with my girls in front of the Red Brick Store where it was organized. 
 I knew my niece Calee was in Nauvoo on Monday but did not think we would end up seeing her. But, she had the impression to hang out in the visitor's center and I had the impression to go to the visitor's center and that is how we found each other. We then attended the performance of Sunset on the Mississippi together. She is talented girl who spent the summer before as a performing missionary in Nauvoo. I hope all of her dreams come true! 


These last 3 pictures were sent to me by Ari Mateu who is Ben's (Peter's older brother) fiancee. We all love her and can not wait for them to get married. She is from Spain and so there are a few hurdles due to the long distance to overcome but we hope we will all be able to attend. 

A few thoughts from this day:
*As a family we read the first chapter in the account of Samuel the Lamanite as part of our family Book of Mormon reading on the way to Carthage Jail. It fit the day so well, that I took the time once we finished to liken it to Joseph Smith and then shared my testimony with my kids. I pray that my words touched their hearts and they have a testimony of their own one day. 
*Would I be willing to bear witness to the end (with my life being threatened)?
*Emma Smith had a heavy burden to bear: loss of children, loss of homes, angry mobs, ill treatment of her husband, RS President, hostess to countless people, prophet's wife, mother, daughter-in-law, trials of faith, loss of spouse, etc. Am I as faithful, supporting, and loving of Peter as a spouse and companion as she was to Joseph?

No comments: