Friday, April 20, 2012

60 Years of Nursing

Eleven Years ago I was graduating from BYU College of Nursing.
I had worked hard and graduated Sigma Theta Tau.
I had been hired already into an emergency room nursing position and I was preparing for my boards.
While I was in Utah I attended a 60th Anniversary Celebration of the College of Nursing and it was fabulous! I love seeing some of my old classmates and the many great things they have done.  There were some great speakers and great food.  My favorite speaker of the day was Sandra Rogers- a former dean and now a vice president for BYU over international studies. 
She pointed out that it was the board of directors of BYU that asked that a college of nursing be established in 1952.  She then reminded us that the board of directors for BYU is the prophet and apostles so if we did not think that our work was instrumented by the Lord we were mistaken because that is who directs the workings of those men.  She also said that "We can not afford to be less than what the gospel teaches us to be."  She was talking about nursing but really it applies to all of life.  If we are less than what the gospel teaches us we will experience heartache or cause heartache for others- not worth it!
I am so thankful I was able to go to this and thankful that my family was willing to watch the girls so that I could go.  Peter was awesome and played a single dad to the boys for a week and did an amazing job of course.  I am thankful for my education and the chance I had to go to BYU.  I know I could have learned to be a nurse at any other school but at BYU I was really able to see how intricately the body and spirit are connected.  Treating patients is such a joy and easier when you are able to look at them and remember they are His children too even if you can not fully see them as he sees them.  I am proud to be one of over 5,000 BYU nurses out in the world using our knowledge and testimonies for good.
This was the amazing dessert at the banquet.
Tiffany, me, Nikki, Marquelle.
The girls in the middle who did not know I was taking their picture- Amanda and Tamar.
Jana in the back and Heidi making the silly face in the middle.  
There were a few more that I did not catch to get a picture of but it was great to see them too.

No comments: