Monday, March 19, 2012

"One year older and wiser too..."

Yes you have seen this cake before -  well actually, same recipe different cake.
Peter made my Homemade (labor intensive) German Chocolate cake a day early.  I am working on my birthday so we had cake on Sunday night. 
 Coconut, chocolate, pecans....a piece of heaven!
 As you can kind of see from this picture, I cut my hear about 2 weeks ago- I am really liking it.
Check out that blaze! 33! Jon counted the candles. 

In honor of this double three birthday, I am going to record 3 good and 3 bad things about me. 
Since this is from my point of view, it really may be skewed.
First, the bad or not so good.
1. I am not the most patient or rational person when I am sleep deprived. 
Unfortunately this is once a week after I work.  I try really hard to remember that it is not anyone's fault that I am so tired and they should not be punished for my sleepiness.  Or, sometimes I am really easy going when I am tired and that is not always so good. I really am trying to work on this: patience and love even when I am tired.
2. My tongue gets me in trouble.
For the few of you who read this blog, you probably already know this and sadly have probably suffered from my harsh words.  I do try to hold my tongue and I believe I am better than I used to be.  But, there are still times or situations that something is said or done (or I try to fill in for awkward silence) and I just have to open my mouth.  Some things I  have said to people they have likely forgotten but I remember how awkward they were and regret them.  And, I know that too often in my life I have hurt people's feelings.  To those of you reading this and that has been the case, I am sorry.  I am trying to remember that words can leave a deeper impact than action.
3. The ones I love the most are not always the ones I treat the best.
I am too hard on my kids.  I expect a great deal from them and I find myself reminding myself that they are kids and so they will act like kids and that is okay.  Peter is amazing and does so very much for our family.  I need to be better about loving, thanking, encouraging, and respecting him.  As for my extended family, I am trying to be better about keeping in touch with them and letting them know how much they mean to me. 

Now for the good or getting better.
1. I am better than I think I am.  (I agree. Pete)
I recently had an empowering experience.  I learned that I was better at something than I thought I was simply because I tried doing it a different way than usual.  I did not realize just how insecure I had been until I did this.  This has made me feel so much better about myself.  I suggest you try this!
2. I have a strong desire and commitment to grow in the gospel.
I love the gospel.  It is my source of peace and strength.  I love to talk about what I believe and to fill my time with living the gospel and fulfilling assignments.  I know I can be better about many aspects of the gospel but there is no doubt that I know the church is true.  And, I would say that pretty much anyone who knows me and knows that I am LDS has no doubt that I love and live the gospel.
3. I want to be a better person.
I recognize that I have many areas that I can be better and I am trying to work on them.  I want to be a person that can go to bed each night without regrets for things I have said, done or felt.  I am thankful for the atonement that allows me to work on being a better person.  I am thankful for a Heavenly Father who knows what I can become and believes that I can become that person. 

It really is hard to believe that another year has passed but it has.  I am looking forward to this coming year and the endless possibilities that it holds. 

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Shell, you are amazing! I've always thought so, my friend. Love you, girl!