Monday, June 13, 2011

Last Days of School, Red Belt and Apricots

Well, the end of school has come and summer has begun.
Jon's last day was May 25th and the last day was a field day. This is a picture of him with his great teacher Ms. Ban. She really knew how to work with Jon. He gained confidence and she never saw him as a problem or a challenge just a boy with a different way of approaching life. She took his strengths (that others may see as challenges) and used them to his and her advantage.
This is Jon with Ms. Leake, the class assistant. She was a huge help as well. Oh CCDC we will miss you but plan to send all future preschoolers from our house to your preschool.
Joey had a great last week of school but being the nerd that I am, I did not get any pictures of him with his teacher or doing any of his last activities.
The second to last week of school they had Camp Valley Ridge. They did camping like activities but at school: roasting s'mores, watching parent trap, discussing fire safety and how to build a fire when camping, and double recess!
The last week of school they had a game day, ice cream sundae party as a reward for learning all of their addition facts, an outdoor play day with pizza for lunch and lots of fun and not as much hard core school work.
Joey's teacher was Ms. Laird and she too was fabulous. She really cared for him and was a big part in helping us get Joey diagnosed and getting the things he needs to succeed.
This is a photo to mark a hair achievement for Arabella- french braid! It did not last too long but it held better than I thought.
Joey has made it to another level in Taekwondo. He earned his red belt. He has worked so hard and I don't believe I have ever seen him so proud of himself.
Above and below he is doing his weapons skills with his bo staff.
Peter was so wrapped up in watching do his great brown belt form that he forgot to get any pictures or video. Just know that it is impressive. I especially like the ultra serious face Joey makes while doing it. I think he is trying to convey power and strength.
Joey is the one kicking. He has become better at sparring and we are proud of him.
At first they tried to put a new brown belt on Joey and he kept ducking. The sticky note had his last name on it but really it was supposed to be Jon's - he did not pass everything off to test so he did not get his new belt.
When the right belt came, he was more than happy to accept it.
This was just moments after he turned and gave us a double thumbs up. He has learned so much through ATA and not just about punching and kicking. I am glad he enjoys it.
Finally, on Saturday, I picked up my produce co-op purchase. I had ordered a case (yes, a case) of apricots. They are so good and the kids have really loved eating them. I used about 1/4 of the case to make two batches of jam- not even freezer but the cooked processed kind.
I have also made an apricot coffee cake and given some to a friend but I believe I will make fruit leather with some of them today.
Doesn't that look pretty?!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh man! I love apricot jam (and as far as I'm concerned, apricot jam should always be cooked)! We got a bunch of apricots a few years ago from my mom and we bottled jam and syrup. Yum yum.

Brady and Lindsay Wood said...

You are too good. You are still that domestic and pregnant. Go Shellie!

Megan said...

way to go boys! have a fun summer and great work with the karate! your jam looks super tasty too!