Friday, March 25, 2011

What is in a name?

So there has been quite a bit of discussion about names at our house what with a baby coming and all. But we had a new reason to discuss names and she is below.
Yes, we are dog owners now.
She is a 4 month old chocolate lab that we got from a friend's mom who is a breeder. She is mostly crate trained and we are grateful for that.
As for the name part: When we told the kids Monday that we were getting a dog on Tuesday, we asked what should we call it. Arabella immediately said "Pink"- naturally a great dog name- right?! I don't remember Joey's first response but he will join the story soon. Jon simply said, "I want a turtle." Yes, that is from the boy that for 2 years has been asking if he could have a dog for his birthday. Peter wanted Annie and I said no but he liked the name Sasha too.
By Tuesday afternoon the boys were thinking Diamond was a good name and Arabella was still set on Pink. This is where Joey comes in- he suggested Pink Diamond and both Jon and Arabella were on board. Peter came home from work and I told him and he just shook his head saying, "I just don't think I can have a dog named Pink Diamond." I took the boys to Karate and the dog came while we were gone and Peter got Arabella set on Sasha and so Sasha it is.
She is a good puppy but she is a puppy so she has her moments. I am sure you will hear many more stories of Sasha and see her cute face often. (Oh and just so Arabella felt even better about the name change, Sasha has a pink collar, leash and toys.)

4 comments:

Kelsey Booth said...

Wowza! That is so exciting. I was rooting for Pink Diamond to be honest...but I guess Sasha is good too :) Your kids will have so much fun with her!

Brady and Lindsay Wood said...

How fun!!!! I am jealous we have been wanting a dog since we were first married. We settled on Ryker for now and will get one once we are in a house. I love that the kids wanted to call her pink diamond. That is funny. And silly Jon I'm sure he will love having Sasha around to wrestle with more than a turtle.

Megan said...

whoa! i don't know if i'll ever be ready for a dog, one more thing in the list of things i struggle to take care of each day. he he. congrats! love pink diamond but sasha works. did peter tell you we had a black lab named sasah back in new orleans? she couldn't get house trained and my dad couldn't stand her so he got rid of her. hope your experience goes better! jon is so funny. a turtle of all things!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Oh, when you first said Pink I was thinking of that singer. I was thinking that'd be an interesting name.