Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Rear-ended

Joey had an appointment this morning in Grapevine about 30 minutes away at 7:45. We left our house at 7 so we would not hit too much traffic. Well about 7:09 I was rear ended while getting on to the freeway. The girl said she was sorry and I said I was too because I needed to get going so not to be late. I called Peter who roused the other kids and met me at the accident. We swapped kids and he got Joey to his appointment just a few minutes late. An officer came and made a report but all accidents in Texas are civil so I needed to call my insurance and let them deal with it. It turns out we have the same insurance carrier- USAA. After the officer was finished I went to get her name and number and it turns out she is one of my "mystery sisters"- inactive and most of them unknown by any leadership in our ward but on our list and hard to track down due to poor information or just avoiding us. She said her name and I am sure my jaw dropped as I blurted out "No way!" I promised her I was not a stalker but asked if she lived off of Castle Rock (a road in my neighborhood) and sure enough it was her. I told her who I was and that I had seen her name on my rolls and it was nice to meet her although in not such great circumstances. I doubt she will be at church on Sunday but I hope that she now knows that the Lord is still trying to keep track of her even if she is a "mystery".
Oh and the damage was not too bad. I will likely need a new back door for the van and maybe a new fender. Nobody was hurt and her license plate was bent in and that is about all. What a day that is all I can say?!

4 comments:

Kelsey Booth said...

Okay, that is a pretty wild story. Who would have thought that an accident was entirely intentional - so you could find her? I am glad everyone is okay but sorry about the accident.

Brady and Lindsay Wood said...

The Lord really does work in mysterious ways. Since living in Georgia I am even more amazed how small this world really is especially through the church.
I am glad ya'll are all safe. Sorry about the accident. I guess its a not so great month in the Rabner family all around.

Megan said...

that is crazy! i hope she feels "pricked" by the lord and sees that he is mindful of her. a dinged up car is no fun, but it's interesting to see how the lord works.

Jennie said...

I don't think that accident was such an "accident". What are the chances of her rear-ending the RS President?! What a great excuse to follow up with her...just to make sure she is okay. Good thing you didn't swear ;)