Thursday, June 24, 2010

Ponderings on a Funeral

On Sunday, the Bishop caught me after RS and told me he needed to talk to me. He told me that a Sister Gertrude Pyle had passed away. I did not know who she was and believe me I have almost memorized my RS rolls, I look over them often enough. My counselor Debbie was in there and new who she was. It turns out she lived in the ward years ago and was fundamental in establishing the church in Lewisville. She was being buried here and so the family had called and asked if we would take care of the funeral on Monday. In addition, none of the family members would be able to dress her in her temple clothes for burial. That means it would fall to me as the RS president. This was something that kind of shook me when I found out it was something I could do in my calling. It is not that I have not been around a dead person before. I don't really know what it was that bothered me.
Well, after a few more phone calls it was determined that yes I would need to do it and we would need to find temple clothes. Well we had a few pieces in our RS closet but not a complete set. Bless the Stake RS! They had several sets. Sister Margo Merrill, our stake RS president, picked me up and took me to the stake center to pick them up. She used the drive to give me some great council. First, she had been Sister Pyle's visiting teacher years ago and told me some great things about this lady. It helped because she also helped me understand the sacred duty it is to dress someone for burial. She told me to remember that this is the last thing that will be done for their mortal body. She also suggested I offer a prayer before doing it, thanking the Lord for this sister and the life she lead.
After, we found the clothes we headed to the funeral home. The worker we talked to told us that they would be able to do it. I have to say I had a feeling of relief. But it was not to last. They called Monday morning and had some questions. I told them I would be there in a half an hour. My kind neighbor took my kids on very short notice and off I went. This was the first time I had laid eyes on this sister and you could tell she was a great lady. With the help of two of the workers, we got her dressed and as it was unfolding I felt the spirit touch my heart. I reflected on the words Sister Merrill had shared with me the day before. What a beautiful thing to be dressed in the white clothes of the temple! Her body was stiff and it was awkward to get things just right but I knew that it was just as if we were at the temple, all need to be in the right place. She looked, well, heavenly. I offered a prayer as we finished and my heart was filled with the spirit.
I returned home, picked up my kids and finished a few things around the house before picking up the Bishop's daughter Emily to watch my kids while I went to the funeral. I played the piano for the funeral. She requested Amazing Grace which she loved growing up in another faith. That was the first time I had played that song but it went well. There were not too many people there but you could tell her family loved her. Our stake president came and said a few words. He had been the Bishop when her husband died several years ago. He shared a story about her that touched me deeply.
The church had finally grown enough in Lewisville to warrant the building of a chapel. She was so excited and wanted so much to be a part of it that she got a full time job and worked for one year donating all of her income to the building of this chapel. Could I or would I do the same? I have donated to the church and even donated to the point that it hurt (well in the budget but not spiritually). But to sacrifice so much time and the compensation for that time, I was amazed by her faith. I grew up in Utah I do not know what it would be to not have a chapel. Even now, I am blessed to attend the chapel she sacrificed so much for.
The meeting closed with us singing I am a Child of God. We did not do a luncheon due to the short notice and the family was understanding. I was relieved. This experience as a whole reaffiremd my testimony of our Heavenly Father's plan. We are blessed to know that death is not the end. Our glorious Savior, Jesus Christ was willing to come to this earth, teach us the way, suffer for our sins, sacrifice his life, and then overcome death so we could return to our heavenly home. There is so much love in each part of this. I am so thankful for my membership in this church and for my temple marriage that seals me to my family forever. I am grateful that I had this experience. It was the Lord's way of giving me growth and understanding. I am grateful for the chance that I had to learn of this sweet sister and I pray that her family is being comforted in their time of sorrow.

3 comments:

Megan said...

thank you for such an uplifting post and testimony! love you!

Heather Wihongi said...

What an amazing experience, Shell; you told the story so beautifully and honestly. I'm sure you are blessing your ward in Lewisville so much as their Relief Society President. How you do it with three children and working as a nurse is beyond me! What a wonderful example you've always been to me.

Megan said...

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful experience. That one act of pure love, kindness, and tenderness will stay with you a lifetime and become a defining part of who you are. How lucky you are!

Good luck with the karate tournament this weekend. We are all rooting for the boys!

The Provencal sun is shining for you too!

~Lanell