Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Dentist, aaaahhhhhh!



Try to imagine me saying the above phrase and pulling my hair! We have had quite the experience with Jon and the dentist. Last October we took him in and had his teeth examined. They found one obvious cavity which I was shown and I was told that when I brought him back to have it filled they would do a more thorough exam. Well, when the filled the tooth Peter went back with Jon and they did not do a further exam nor did they fill the right tooth. Jon chewed on his numb lip and so it took about a week before we could really see in his mouth due to a swollen sore lip. It was about that time we realized the wrong tooth had been filled. I called the dentist and went in. They said that sure enough they filled the wrong tooth and apologized and stated there must have been a cavity in that tooth too or they would not have filled it. They agreed to fill the tooth using just laughing gas and we would not have to pay for it. Peter had to come and sit with Jon because I was pregnant and could not be by the gas. Well, they did the more thorough exam this time and found two more cavities which they filled. When they were done Jon was fit to be tied. Peter had to physically hold him down for the other teeth.

Well, exam time came again and Jon had two more cavities. We thought we would try just the gas this time. It did not go well. He did not end up having the teeth filled. Peter rescheduled for sedation to be done. He had paid already for the fillings and the gas. In looking at the new statement for the coming appointment, I found we were being charged for the gas again. Well, Jon never let them use gas that is why we had to reschedule. We also had just received a bill from the insurance stating we would be charged for this most recent exam because we the dentist had billed for the one in November (the why did you fill the wrong tooth exam). You better believe I was on the phone demanding some billing answers. I was able to get some of it resolved over the phone and was assured that everything would go smoothly this time.
We did not let Jon have anything to drink or eat since last night, except a small sip (and I am the one that gave it to him so I do mean a small sip, maybe a tablespoon) of water after he brushed his teeth this morning. He was very frustrated that we would not let him drink anything especially, it is supposed to get to 108 today so we are all thirsty. We arrive at the dentist an hour early so we can be medicated. I haggle with the billing department and get the bills fixed. Then finally after waiting an hour Jon is taken back to get his medicine. Being the honest person that I am, when the aide asked when he last drank or ate I mentioned the sip of water. She says she had to go and speak with the dentist. I knew what was going to happen before she returned. Yep, she came in and said they would not be able to sedate due to the water. I said that I was done and wanted a refund, copies of my kids records and I was leaving. She went to get the office manager I had spoke with earlier over the billing issues and she said she would get me copies. While I was waiting the very nice girl who schedules appointments asked if she could help and I told her no I was waiting for my records and would be leaving but could I at least speak with the dentist. I was taken to the dentist office and she said that I should understand being in the medical field why she could not do the sedation. I said no I could not becasue paitents are allowed to take a sip of water for there oral medications before surgeries. She said that even though I said it was a sip, she could really know that for sure. I told her that I was sorry then, but I would be leaving her office and figured she would likely do the same if she were in my shoes. I then remebered the $110.00 Peter had paid the first attempt at getting fillings done and after getting that refund I left the office. I have spoken with a few other people who have had similarly negative experiences with this office and specifically this dentist. I have not mentioned any names but there is one dentist there that is great but will not be seeing patients as much and some very kind office personnel. We are looking for a new dentist in the Las Vegas area that will do sedation if you know of any. Thank you for reading my RANT!

In happier dental news, Arabella has cut her two bottom front teeth. And Joey's two bottom front teeth are loose. Now that I have his xrays, it looks like he may be losing a few more very soon!

2 comments:

Cristi L. said...

Words fail me! AAAAHHHHHHHGGGGG! Being that I totally know the dentist in question I am ready to post her name in large type at the top of my blog and tell anyone who will listen to stay as far away from her as possible.

Let me know when you find a new one.

Kelsey Booth said...

I am so sorry! That is awful. I hope you find a new *good* dentist.