Friday, June 30, 2017

Niagara Falls Fun

Sunday, the day after the race we spent some time exploring Niagara. We had totally intended to go to church but when you are in a dark hotel room and have not slept much for 2 days and there are no kids and you forget to set an alarm, you might just wake up at 9 am and miss church. 
Anyhow, we got moving and headed out to see the sights.
Canadian geese and goslings
The falls are truly incredible, especially when you get up close to them,
or get to stand behind them.
You are looking at the US side or portion of the falls. They are not the horseshoe shaped falls that people often imagine when thinking of the falls. But I loved the rocks that they pounded down on. 
We rode the Hornblower (a boat that takes you up close to the falls). It was a rainy and misty day and then there is a lot of spray from the falls. We were soaked and cold and were wearing 2 ponchos. I stuck my phone out of the neck of my poncho to snap this one picture and then it really started to rain and the spray from the falls mixed with the wind was too wet for my phone. 
I loved the River Walk. The river that flows after the falls is unbelievable! The water is racing and is a class 6 which basically means it is impassable by kayak or canoe or boat. The waves were massive and as high as 12 or more feet! 

It was really hard to get a good picture but that was a massive wave!
We ate the yummiest soup and crepes for dinner that night at this little French Bistro. 
Monday we headed out to explore Buffalo a bit ad walked around some but a lot of the best tourist stuff is meant for summer or weekends so we consoled ourselves with more Tim Horton donuts. 
And since we had some time to kill, we headed back to Niagara and went to the Butterfly Conservatory. It was so amazing! I have been in several butterfly houses over the years but this was the best I have ever seen! There were so many butterflies! 

I saw a lady that had one on her hand and said well aren't you lucky.  She told me that someone had handed it to her and so she handed it to me. I took a picture and was in awe and then handed it to a worker. 

Why this is my last picture of my adventure, I am not sure but it is. This is poutine, a Canadian dish of fries with gravy and cheese curds. It was okay and maybe better depending on which restaurant you buy it from.  
I loved my adventure! We had some crazy flight delays on our way home but we made it home and I was so excited to plan the rest of our family's trip to Niagara and New York in just a few short weeks. 

No comments: