Thursday, September 15, 2016

Summer Reading Part 2

I decided back in April that I wanted to read the Book of Mormon in 100 days. I really wanted to read it and not listen to it on my phone.  I figured I needed to ready about 5 pages a day.  This seemed really reasonable and the first few weeks went really well and then school was out and life was a bit more crazy. So I started listening to some of those pages on my phone and reading when I could. I ultimately missed by goal by 2 days.  
I loved reading it and reading it quicker than I had ever before. I was moved by different parts and heard/read things that had specific meaning and content for me at this time in my life. It is a book filled with truth, meaning, teachings, guidance, direction, purpose, great stories, and love from our Father in Heaven. 
As my summer was winding up I finished reading the Book of Mormon and then listened to the book A Million Miles in A Thousand Years by Donald Miller. He said near the beginning of his book that the Bible is a good story about good characters but there is not a lot of direction given in it or something along those lines. I was a bit bothered by this notion and thought what is he talking about. He explains a bit further but in the end all I could think was that he needed to read the Book of Mormon because it was full of instruction and good stories.  The Bible is wonderful and he references it regularly but I felt so much peace in knowing that yes, I have the bible and it teaches me but The Book of Mormon is true and fulfilling. 

The second thing that occurred about 2 weeks after I finished is that we went and saw the new Ben Hur movie. We had intended to see a different movie but had our times mixed up and missed it so we decided to see this instead. I had not seen the original for 20 or so years and had forgotten most of the storyline.  I did not realize that Jesus was a key character in the plot.  He appears multiple times throughout the movie and influences the main characters multiple times.  The main couple in the story is separated for several years and the girl finds Jesus, listens to him and becomes a follower.  The man becomes a slave and his heart is hardened and he seeks revenge.  They are eventually reunited but it becomes obvious how Jesus and his teachings have allowed the girl to move past the wrongs that have taken place and move forward.  For the man, his need for revenge ultimately enrages the masses and plays a role in the desire for the public to crucify Jesus.  I do not know if this is historically accurate but it was very interesting to consider.  I loved the most how the power of Jesus and his love work in the lives of these people and they are able to find hope and new beginnings.  I was reminded of the Book of Mormon and the many people in it who are able to turn their lives around because of Jesus.  If we will come to Him with a broken heart and a contrite spirit He will make us better than we could have every imagined. 

If it has been awhile since you read the Book of Mormon, I challenge you to start again and make it a part of your daily life. I felt an increase in the Spirit in ways I had not anticipated and I was so grateful for. 

No comments: