Friday, October 9, 2015

Cinnamon Twists

I have made these yummy little treats for several people and tried to explain the process to them but it is kind of hard to explain.  The funny thing is I was actually given the recipe by my sister Jana.  She sent me the picture of the recipe because she too had taken them to people and had been asked for it so many times that she finally took a picture and kept it in her phone to share with anyone who asks.
1. Mix the flour, water, oil, sugar and yeast. You will get a lumpy mixture that you will leave on the counter for 10 minutes until you get something that resembles the substance below. (I made a double batch when I took these pictures so yours will be smaller.)
 2. Pour the above mixture into a mixing bowl and add the remaining ingredients until you get a dough that looks something like this. (You can mix this by hand it is not hard- I have done it.)
 3. Dump on to a floured surface and need until a ball forms.  Let stand for 10 minutes.
(You can ask one of your kids to pose with the dough during this time if you would like.)
 4. Divide the dough in half or even thirds. I used half of the dough to make twists and the other half I made into rolls for dinner. 
 5. Roll the dough into a large rectangle.  I should have cut this rectangle in half the long way (that would be horizontal in this picture) so that I had shorter twists in the end. 
 6. For this size batch I used a cube of softened butter and mixed in sugar and cinnamon to make a . spread. You do not want it melted, but a spreadable consistency.  You will spread it on half of the rectangle. (You would do half of each half if I had cut my rectangle to begin with.)
 7. Now, fold the top half over the spread and make a sandwich.
 8. Use a pizza cutter to cut strips appoximately 1 inch wide. 
 9. As you pick each strip up to place on a greased cookie sheet, you will twist the ends in opposite directions to form a twist. This is easier to do with shorter strips. 
 10. Let them rise for 20 minutes. During which time you can form your rolls into balls or you can make more cinnamon twists whichever. 
 11. Ready to go in the oven. (I had to put one roll on the pan of twists.)

 12. They have baked and probably could have used 1 less minute or so but they will still be delicious. 
 13. Make your favorite frosting (I use 1 cube butter or a little more, about 1 lb or powdered sugar, a teaspoon or so of vanilla and a couple of tablespoons of milk.) It is entirely up to you but it is nice if you frost them while they are still a bit warm because the frosting melts down into them. 
There you have it! I think they are as good as cinnamon rolls but not as much work. Maybe I will call them lazy cinnamon rolls and continue to make, eat, and share them! 

No comments: