Friday, November 29, 2013

Washington DC- Day 2

Day 2 we headed out fairly early so that we could be at Arlington Cemetery right when it opened.
View from JFK's grave.
 The Eternal Flame (and my lovely gray hair streak)
 This wording struck me so powerfully. God truly does know who each of us are and He loves each of us.

 Standing ready for a 21 gun salute.
 We watched this funeral from afar but this person was someone important because there was a whole band and their casket was carried on a caisson. 

 Civil War mass burial site
 Nurses' section

 More food- my roommate Lora Jean worked at the Pentagon for a few years. I asked her where I needed to eat and what I needed to see. She sent us to Sine's Irish Pub. All of it was soooo good! We had artichoke dip, potato soup and fish and chips.
 We spent the rest of the day at the Holocaust Museum.
It was somber. I learned a great deal. My heart ached. I did not know that the Gypsies were just as persecuted as the Jews. I was also really bothered by the forced sterilization of multiple types of people as well as killed any one with a defect of any kind. I spent the next few days looking at anyone with a limp or in a wheelchair and thinking you are a great smart and effective member of society and yet if you lived in Hitler's world you were seen as expendable.
 Walking to the restaurant for dinner we passed a statue that said amor (it is behind us in the picture) so we stopped for a smooch.
 After dinner we stopped by the White House.
Great day with this great man!

No comments: