Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A Fun Friday with the Fam

Friday the kids did not have school.
We had a picnic at the park with friends.
Then, I told Peter that since he did not have to travel that day for work he was getting off early and playing with us! (He still left for work at 5 am and worked 7 1/2 hours.)
 Our zoo pass is getting close to its expiration so it was the perfect place to go. 
We even ran into some friends there.
 I ended up with more than one picture with someone's finger suddenly pointing across it.


 The water feature is always a hit! 
We fed the birds as well and it was an experience. They are trained that when the door opens there will be food and they "attack".  I think each of us had one land or try to land on our heads. The kids freaked out and the zookeeper was irritated that the kids would not be calm. But in the end we fed the birds and bought one new stick of food so that one sad boy who dropped his mealworms when the birds attacked could actually feed the birds. 
 This is purely to document how Jon wore his socks for most of the time at the zoo. Not sure why.
 I love to ride the monorail at the Dallas Zoo. The animals you see on it, are some of my favorites there. 


We finished with a ride on the carousel.  The older 3 are in that spinning nest which was really had to capture from my up and down perch. 
We left the zoo at rush hour and so decided just to eat dinner downtown- Pei Wei- Yummy!

For me, the most memorable part of the afternoon and evening was as we were heading to the freeway on the frontage road we came upon a car stuck between lanes. The woman inside was waving people around her and she was near the intersection but definitely stuck in a spot that was making it confusing for people to get in the right turn lanes to get to the freeway.  My amazing husband instead of just going around put the van in park, turned on the hazard lights and got out to see if he could help.  Then I see my good-hearted husband begin to push her car up the road that is not flat but on an incline.  He pushed her to a diagonal lined triangular spot in the intersection where she would be safe and traffic could safely move around her. The kids asked what dad was doing and why he was pushing someone's car and all I could say (with emotion choking my words) was that he was being a good man and a good scout helping someone who needed help and could not do it for herself.  It turns out her car had overheated and she was not strong enough to push it up the hill and out of the way.  The zoo was fun and I hope to remember it but I know I will remember that and also that my children saw their dad helping his "neighbor" in action.

No comments: