Saturday, February 25, 2012

His Daughter, Memories, and Thirst Quenching

Today, was our Stake RS Conference and it was fabulous!  It always is and is one of the spiritual highlights of my year.  LDS Women are Incredible! The theme of this conference was "Daughters in My Kingdom" and all of the classes were based on different chapters in from that inspired book.
Our stake RS President and the Stake President spoke in a general opening meeting and truthfully their talks somewhat meshed together.  Sister Merrill told of 2 people who turned out to be her parents and talked of their journey to membership in the church and raising their family according to the principles of the gospel and what their lives would mean to generations to come.  Then Pres. Riding spoke about "Whose daughter art thou?" which is a reference to the story of Abraham's servant being sent to find a wife for Isaac- he asks this question of Rebekah.  Pres. Riding shared with us a conversation he had with  Elder Nelson when he was here for our Stake Conference.  Elder Nelson told President Riding to teach the youth of their ancestry.  We are all descendants of the House of Israel or we will be adopted into it.  The blessings that come with that heritage are beautiful and eternal.  There is work on our part but all of those given to Abraham can be ours too if we live up to our covenants.
The first class I attended was "A Wide and Extensive Sphere of Action" (chapter 4).  We were given these questions:
1. What are the foundational responsibilities in my life?
+Search your patriarchal blessing (this will help with 1 and 2).
2. What are my unique gifts and talents or special purpose that I can use to help others?
+With this she pointed out that much of what we do does not need to be large and overwhelming but daily and consistent; ie focus on having a positive attitude with our children each day (okay so this can be overwhelming at times).
3. What can I eliminate in my life to broaden my sphere?
The teacher all shared these ABC from President Monson: Attitude,  Believe, Courage.
My favorite quote: "Let your first business be to perform your duties at home.  But, inasmuch as you are wise stewards, you will find time for social duties, because these are incumbent upon us as daughters and mothers in Zion.  By seeking to perform every duty you will find that your capacity will increase, and you will be astonished at what you can accomplish." - Eliza R. Snow
I have felt this to be true in my life.  When we put our lives in the Lords hands, with a sincere desire to do those things that he would have us do, He will make us capable of that work.  "I the Lord am bound when ye do what I say..."  and "For with God nothing shall be impossible."

The second class I attended really blended well with what I felt and heard in the first class.  I went to "Charity Never Faileth" (chapter 5).  I went to this one because I have felt so often in my life that my charity is failing.  I may be there doing the service but my heart is not always filled with the Christ-like love or attitude that maybe it should be.  As one person pointed out, that maybe if we do it long enough that will grow in our hearts.  The teacher gave a great lesson and asked these two great questions:
1. What is the difference between charity and love?
2. Why/how does charity never fail?
I think what really hit me the most was when a sister shared a portion of this quote with me.  It meant so much to me that I looked up the rest of it and am adding it here:

Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all. …
“Charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever.” (Moro. 7:46–47.)
Charity is, perhaps, in many ways a misunderstood word. We often equate charity with visiting the sick, taking in casseroles to those in need, or sharing our excess with those who are less fortunate. But really, true charity is much, much more.
Real charity is not something you give away; it is something that you acquire and make a part of yourself. And when the virtue of charity becomes implanted in your heart, you are never the same again. It makes the thought of being a basher repulsive.
Perhaps the greatest charity comes when we are kind to each other, when we don’t judge or categorize someone else, when we simply give each other the benefit of the doubt or remain quiet. Charity is accepting someone’s differences, weaknesses, and shortcomings; having patience with someone who has let us down; or resisting the impulse to become offended when someone doesn’t handle something the way we might have hoped. Charity is refusing to take advantage of another’s weakness and being willing to forgive someone who has hurt us. Charity is expecting the best of each other.
None of us need one more person bashing or pointing out where we have failed or fallen short. Most of us are already well aware of the areas in which we are weak. What each of us does need is family, friends, employers, and brothers and sisters who support us, who have the patience to teach us, who believe in us, and who believe we’re trying to do the best we can, in spite of our weaknesses. What ever happened to giving each other the benefit of the doubt? What ever happened to hoping that another person would succeed or achieve? What ever happened to rooting for each other?
My heart was softened today and I pray that today marks the day of a better more concerted effort on my part to live up to the covenants I have made with my Heavenly Father.  I do not want to let him down.  I know he has a work for me if I will give my life over to him.  I am grateful that he does not expect perfection because there will be days when I will need to courage and do as Pres. Monson said: "Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says, “I’ll try again tomorrow.”


I want to also share 2 more things: I need to record them for me.
Today there was a musical number and it was the song "I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go".  This song makes me cry. During the early part of Peter's unemployment we sang this song in Sacrament meeting.  I remember I did not sing much because I was too overcome with emotion.  As the words were sung, I felt the Spirit reminding me of the many times in my life where the Lord had led me to and through situations and times where I could grow, learn, teach, serve, and love.  I knew that this was again one of those times.  I had not really wanted to move away to Las Vegas but I had gained so much from the experiences and the people the Lord had placed in my life while we were there.  I knew that if he needed us to move again that He would lovingly lead and direct my life into more than I could ever make of it on my own.  I was blessed to have a strong, smart, and spiritual husband by my side helping me to raise our family and we knew that with the Lord's help it would be what it needed to be.  I will always love that song and pray that I never forget those wonderful feelings I felt that day.
Second, I have observed recently that as my children drink of the sacrament water they make that "ahh" sound after they swallow- like it is the best drink they have ever had.  Sometimes, I think they are being to noisy/silly but then I was thinking the other day about what the sacrament water represents.  It is the blood of Christ.  He freely spilled his blood for each one of us so that we could have the gift of repentance and forgiveness.  Truthfully, the sacrament water is best drink in the world.  It made me think of drink deep of the living waters and get your fill. John 7:37 "...If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink." And in John4: 14 we read: "But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." And so if your kids like to gulp or "ahhh" with their sacrament water, go ahead and let them quench that thirst- when they are older they can come to appreciate the rest of the living waters our Savior has to offer.

No comments: