Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Mardi Gras and King Cakes



It's been 18 years since I was last in New Orleans and I'm excited to be going back. When we moved to Texas, I thought, "we're only like 8 hours from New Orleans, we're so going to Mardi Gras." And so we are next weekend. I thought that it would be fun to take the kids to see some real parades, we are going the week before Mardi Gras. You see, in New Orleans, the parades start 3 weeks before Mardi Gras, so we're going for the second weekend. My mom and dad are joining us from Springville, UT and my little sister is coming over from Atlanta. Needless to say, everyone is excited.

We're going to see 2 parades and go to the zoo. The zoo in New Orleans was awesome and my kids love the zoo, so it'll be a lot of fun.

One of the traditions with Mardi Gras is the King Cake. It's basically a big cinnamon roll braided and made into a circle. You can get plain or they can be filled with anything. The tradition is to hide a plastic baby inside the cake. Who gets the baby will be "King" the following year and gets to throw the Mardi Gras party. At school, getting the baby meant you brought the king cake the next week.

So to get ready for our trip, we tracked down a King Cake. The King Cake isn't as nice as the ones in the Big Easy (New Orleans) but it was OK. Jon said that he wanted the baby Jesus when he saw it. Do you see the baby at the top on the huge crown. The baby was molded to the crown so we couldn't put it in the cake. I was highly disappointed. oh well, we'll get a real cake at Gambino's in New Orleans.



Shellie's really excited too, to be able to see the city that my family has talked so much about. We truly did enjoy our years there.


The King Cake that we got served another purpose too.

Can you see it? Look in the middle. There's another baby there too. That's right, we're expecting number 4. Shellie is due August 16 and we are really excited.

*Addition by Shellie to Peter's great post: We are very excited and anxious as can be. Peter has been so good to calm my nerves on a daily basis. I should add a picture of a needle to this becasue after the last baby my doctor did a ton (like 14 tubes worth) of blood work. It was found that I have a clotting disorder. So, I take a daily injection of a blood thinner. My belly, where I give the shots is now covered ironically in green, yellow, and purple little bruises from the shots. I am thankful for a good doctor and modern medicine. We will continue to pray that all will continue to go well and that we will continued to look forward with the peace and hope we have felt so far.

8 comments:

Puckmasters Glenview said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brady and Lindsay Wood said...

WAHOOOOO!!! We are super excited for baby number 4!!!! and we are super excited to see ya'll next week. I have been looking forward to this trip since you told me about it. And Pete way to go on joining the blogging world. That is a big step for a man.
Loves.

Megan said...

that is sooooooo great! when i said "yeah!" lyra started clapping! we are thrilled beyond words for you! is the clotting problem major? now you know of the feeling of diabetics. ugh, would hate to give myself shots! go you!

i'm so so jealous about new orleans. i have a good king cake recipe, so i can send it if you want to try your hand at making one. i have memories of beer getting splashed on me at parades, but they are fun and the floats are fantastic! your look at other local parades will be totally different after mardi gras!

careful on the ferry boat trip down the river to the zoo. that's how i busted my arm right after we moved there. don't let the kids touch anything big and heavy on the boat! i had a barricade fall on my hand and shatter it! have fun! we need a good zoo and aquarium trip.

nice post peter. i love it when our hubbyies do one.

Jennie said...

Pete - so good to hear from you too! Major CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so excited for you! I'll be praying that everything goes smoothly. I am very grateful for modern medicine too. Without it, I would have died with my last babies. Have fun in LA!

p.s. Shellie - Your post about the car accident would be a great article for the Ensign!

Wendy said...

Oh yeah!! So happy for you! I loved having a baby in August. I'm excited to see you soon!

Lindsey said...

OH, I'm so extremely happy for you! And excited about your trip too! Have some beignets (sp???) - lots of them - just for me! I've been dreaming of them lately!

Janna said...

Congratulations! I hope that all goes well and the pregnancy will be smooth. :) Enjoy New Orleans...man, I love that city (just not the clothes-less-ness). ;)

Levanger Family said...

Congrats! We are very happy for you!!