Thursday, September 9, 2010

Utah--Part 2

I have got to get caught up. I have first day of school pictures for both boys and Joey has been in for almost 3 weeks.
Well, Monday of our 2nd week I spent the morning with the kids at an old friend's house. It was great to visit with her and see her cute family. That afternoon, I froze/"put up" corn. I think we did some insane amount like 15 dozen ears of corn. It was fun to spend that time with my family doing what has been a long standing tradition in my family. Yes, most of that frozen corn made the journey back to Texas to be consumed by my little family.
While we were doing corn the kids played. Jon and Sadie decided to try out the dress ups. They were putting on a show and gave us all tickets. Jon wore shiny pants. I know you were already amazed by the red cape that is on backwards.
Well, there is little in this world that compares to shiny pants, aka shiny flesh toned dance tights from many years ago; especially pulled on over your swimming suit. Don't you love his pose to.

Tuesday we met Peter's parents and brother Jared in Salt Lake for dinner and they took the kids and Peter and I went to celebrate our 10 year anniversary, kid free!
We first saw the Joseph Smith movie at the Joseph Smith Building. It was incredible. If you go and have not seen it, I suggest you take some of the tissues they have by the door as you walk in. I finally resorted to using my sleeve, yes gross but it was getting bad.
My heart was so full with the spirit of the early saints and all that they endured. What a heritage we as members of the church share in these early saints and Joseph and Emma. He truly was a prophet.
Then on Wednesday morning we slept in and went to Deseret Book. Then we met Peter's brother Jared and his girlfriend Natalie for lunch at the Red Iguana- we saw it on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and it was so totally delcious. I had a strawberry mole that was so good.
After that, we toured welfare square. WOW! I have had the chance to get to know the welfare system of the church better through my calling and it is incredible. The storehouse in Salt Lake is so big and they have so many things. I could go on and on but I am telling you if you want to feel really good about how the church uses your fast offerings and helps the poor and needy then tour Welfare Square sometime. 3400 lbs of cheese is made each day (except Sunday of course) there- I am telling you it is amazing.
Then we went to the beautiful temple picture above and did a session. Neither of us had ever done a session there and it was a wonderful experience. We were the witness couple and to see it live was so powerful. I think these intense spiritual experiences were gifts from my Heavenly Father to prepare me for what was coming. He knew that I would need an extra spiritual boost before facing the trials that have since come. He loves me there is not doubt about it. We were not quite ready for dinner by the time we came out so we went to the Church History Museum and there was a great display about how the Tabernacle was built. Peter was really amazed by this. I loved the Hall of the Prophets with the memorabilia and facts about the great men that have led us in these Latter Days. For dinner, we ate at The Roof restaurant and were seated by the windows so we could watch the sunset behind the temple. It was such a beautiful day but he best part was spending it with my most amazing husband!
Peter has always been so strong even when we were just friends in high school. It was his testimony that truly attracted me to him, of course his looks did not hurt but his testimony made him stand out. He loves the gospel and the Lord and that makes his love for me feel even more powerful and true. I am grateful for the man he is and the father he is to our children.
We got a really good deal including our meal at the Joseph Smith Building as a midweek special at the Anniversary Inn. Our room was great but the funnest part was the outhouse for the toilet, pictured above.

Another shot of our room with that handsome husband of mine.
On our way back to Springville, we stopped at the Humanitarian Center and were blessed to have another amazing experience seeing the unbelievable amount of charitable work the church does throughout the world. Most interesting to me was that 85% of what is donated to DI is turned around directly and donated to the Humanitarian efforts of the church. Again, I recommend you go if you have the chance.

After we made it to Springville again, we headed to Thanksgiving Point with Peter's parents and the kids. They loved it. Nana and Papa had taken them to the Zoo the day before where all of them had a really good time.
This is at the sand and water table area but she had more fun washing and drying her hands at the sink. Whatever, silly girl!
Jon was in heaven with all of the dinosaurs.
Posers!

That night we had a barbecue with Peter's family and it was so fun to visit and laugh with them. We headed back early the next morning. We had a bit of a rough start but otherwise the drive went fairly well. We stopped in Amarillo for the night and were so glad to sleep. Getting home was wonderful! We were all so glad to be out of the car until we walked in the house and it was 98 degrees inside but that was better than the 104 outside. We had turned the AC off.
Jon said he did not want to go back to the grandpas houses because it was too far away but then a few days later he told me we could just move there and then it would not be too far except it would take a few days to move. He has it all figured out, I wish it were so simple.
Coming soon....First day of School!
PS Peter and I are doing well. It has been a sad week but we have been shown so much love by so many people. It is the gospel that will see us through this and together we will be stronger for it. Thank you all for kind words, phone calls, and all sorts of other messages of love.

No comments: