Friday, September 3, 2010

The Lord Giveth

I know this is usually followed with "and the Lord taketh away" but I don't know that I feel that way exactly. My world has kind of been turned upside down over the last few days.
Tuesday afternoon I went in for what I thought would be routine 2nd trimester testing. I expected just lab work which was done but, I also had an ultrasound that showed our baby had died about 2 weeks ago. There was no heartbeat and it was measuring small.
Wednesday, I saw my doctor and it was decided that the best course of action would be to induce labor and have the baby pass that way.
Thursday, Peter and I spent 12 hours at the hospital inducing labor, delivering our tiny angel boy and recovering-well somewhat.
As I drove home from my appointment on Tuesday, my mind was racing with all sorts of things. I spent the evening with Peter trying to wrap my head aorund this. I should say that both Peter and I had a slightly off feeling about this pregnancy. We were excited but I just kept feeling something would go wrong. But I had 2 ultrasounds and had seen the baby's heartbeat and seen the baby move and I would have been 17 weeks today so I could not deny that I was pregnant and not share it with those around me. My greater fear/anxiety became that I would carry this baby to term and something would happen at delivery and I did not know how I would be able to deal with that.
I have been able to deal with this through the power of the priesthood and a sure knowledge of our Heavenly Father's plan of salvation and plan for me. And so the Lord has given me: a wonderful husband who is a worthy priesthood holder and loves me so very much; three beautiful children that I get to hold and love each day; a body that is able to have children; life experiences that have lead me to know that each test and trial is for a reason that will make me a better and stronger person; extended family who though they may be far away their love can be felt in our home; a ward family that has served us in so many ways-especially my Relief Society sisters; temples so that I have been able to make sacred covenants that allow for an eternal family as long as I prove faithful; and most importantly a Savior that through his atonement and resurrection makes it possible to have this sweet spirit again to raise in the eternities.
I am sure that I do not fully understand what this healing process will be like and I know I will carry this with me for the rest of my life but a scripture that has given me comfort for years is in my mind this morning: D & C 24:8 "Be patient in afflictions, for thou shalt have many; but endure them, for, lo, I am with the, even unto the end of thy days."

9 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh Shell, I am so sorry. I wish I were closer to help you through the healing process. I know it is hard to miscarry, and I'm sure it only gets harder and harder the farther along the pregnancy is. My love is sent your way! Your faith and testimony is an example to me. I love you, my friend!

Megan said...

i love you! i am sorry for this experience and so grateful for the blessings you have - the gospel and a promise of an eternal family, a great and caring husband and beautiful children. you are in our prayers and thoughts.

Heather Wihongi said...

Shellie. . .I am SO sorry. I wish I knew what to say, but I can't even imagine how hard it must be. You will be in my prayers. You always have such an eternal perspective about the hardships and challenges in your life. (And you've gone through a few!) May our Heavenly Father bless you, Peter, Joey, Jon, and Arabella at this time.

Cristi L. said...

We love you guys! You're an amazing woman. Brin "calls" Arabella every day on her pretend phone and says, "Bella coming over! YEAH!!" Miss you tons!

Lindsey said...

I'm so sorry! I wish I was there to give some hugs. Please call whe ny ou are ready to talk, in the meantime, I'll be thinking of you.

Kelsey Booth said...

We love you, Peter and your cute kiddos so much. Hugs and kisses!

Rachel Biesinger said...

Shell,

I'm so sorry but so thankful that you will get the chance to raise your little boy and so thankful that you know that! Thank you for your testimony and for your example.

Love to you all,

Ray

Levanger Family said...

Shelly, my heart is breaking for you! We just went thru the same thing and lost our precious little girl at 16 weeks. It's a hard and surreal time but I am glad we have the gospel. Please call if you just want to talk and cry....

Amy C. said...

Shelley, I just read your sad news and wanted you to know how much my heart aches for you. I have been through something similiar and know how exquisite that pain is and yet how amazing the blessings are that come from working your way through it. Your beautiful testimony will be your strength. Sending you a big hug and a few tears...