Friday, January 29, 2010

Let's Talk Texas

*Warning: not to be read if you are hungry or dieting*
If you have never been to Texas, there is a good chance you have never tried Blue Bell Ice Cream. This is a grea picture because some of you out there may be thinking that ice cream is just ice cream right. WRONG! I thought the same the first time I visited Texas (to see the Maas family that is now in Ohio). It is so creamy and the flavors are so good. When I came to see the Maas family a second time, I knew exactly what I wanted while I was here. Yes, I wanted Blue Bell Ice Cream.
That first night when Peter and I finally made it to Texas when he moved, we headed to Walmart to buy food and other supplies and prominently on the list was Blue Bell Ice Cream. It was wonderful! I believe we chose a black berry cobbler.
There are many flavors to choose from but in the running for my favorite we have:
Vanilla (The Homemade version is wonderful)
Chocolate (like someone took the best chocolate in the world and made it ice cream)
and most recently Caramel Turtle Fudge (sitting in my freezer right now and very tatsty).
I promise that if you come to visit me we will have Blue Bell Ice Cream and then when you too fall in love with it we will go to the store and buy more flavors for you to try!
As for other fun places we have tried since moving here (becuase there are so many new restaurants we have never heard of): Babe's Chicken-a wonderful restaurant that offers 5 different types of chicken with family style sides. I recommend the hickory smoked- so tasty and juicy. Cotton Patch Cafe- kind of like Applebee's or Chili's but with a bit of a southern taste to it. They have great cobbler that is only 1.99 (a good deal for dessert). Rosa's Cafe- they have a tortilla machine that captivated my children's attention. The prices were great and the food wasn't too bad either. Freddy's Frozen Custard- we all enjoyed this treat night. Arabella sat between Peter and I. She would finish a bite of mine and turned with mouth opened to Peter for a bite of his and don't you dare be trying to take a bite when she was ready for one. They also serve sandwiches and fries, etc. I will be investigating this sometime as well.
Peter is determined to find the best BBQ place around. I will be sure to keep you "posted" on that research project.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

My sister lived in Texas for several years, and actually had Blue Bell ice cream shipped to Utah for a birthday party. No other ice cream would do. :)

Brady and Lindsay Wood said...

Oh I miss Blue Bell Ice Cream. When we moved to Utah that was very hard for our family. Ask Pete.

Lindsey said...

LOVE IT!!! Golly; you are KILLING me! Best BBQ - I have two suggestions.
1. spring creek - the BBQ isn't very ogod but they constantly bring hot rolls around that are DIVINE!
2. Rudy's in Frisco. I think we went to one in Austin (???). It's at at gas station. The spicy sausage is also pretty good. And you can't eat there without getting the creamed corn.
Oh my goodness, I am hungry and dieting!!!! I should have listened to your warning!
We also like Black-Eyed Pea. THey bring out baskets of cornbread and rolls with honeybutter. (my mouth is watering...). The pot roast is fabulous and the banana pudding just plain yummy (assuming it's still the same recipe). Oh, I wasnt't missing Texas too much until now...

Kelsey Booth said...

You are totally right, nothing even comes close to Blue Bell. We really need to figure out when we're going to visit.