Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Ragnar Luckenbach 2018

I was so excited to compete with my Flower Power Ragnar Team again this year! It was a beautiful weekend for a 200 ish mile relay. We headed off on Thursday morning and after a few pictures as a team (I could not find that picture) we headed south towards San Marcos. 
We stopped in Waxahachie for lunch and it was so delicious and the town was so quaint. 

 We enjoyed a lovely evening and dinner then we rested up for our early morning start. 
 Van 1 was up and at 'em and ready to run! 
 L to R: Mary Johnson, Corrine Nelson, Me, Renata Parker, Chantelle Voutilainen, Lauren Reber.
 Some great exchanges and beautiful scenery! 

 I found this girl just before my first leg and we had twin socks! It turns out she is LDS too! Small world! 

 My first leg was only 2.7 miles but this awesome barn was along the way! 
 Corrine is seriously the BEST captain! She gave us these great gift bags full of fun things- 2 t shirts, a cowbell, water bottle, and some goodies! 

 The team minus Rhonda who had taken off after I came in. 
 Rhonda and I did not have a smooth transition, I dropped the slap bracelet that we are supposed to pass from runner to runner. It was awesome and in front of a bunch of people. 
 We then took some time to get cleaned up and head to The GristMill for a delicious lunch! 

 The onion rings were huge! 




 During our second leg we found this lovely bit of yard decoration! 
And this awesome display of the American flag!  
 There were so many campsites along this road but when we saw this one we had to stop and take a quick picture! 
 Sandy was on our team until a family emergency took her away and so we ran for her! 
My second leg (5.9 miles) was interesting because we were told we had to stop and wait. If we passed the exchange before 9 pm we would be penalized. So my van came to where I was and stopped. I climbed in and we waited for about 40 minutes. 
The sun was up on a new day and I was feeling ready and excited for my last leg- 11.1 miles!  
 There were hills, long hills, short hills, curved hills, and beautiful hills. I had set a personal goal for myself and hoped to exceed it but was so pleased with myself that I finished in the time I wanted to. It was a good run and I felt good about how well I did.  


There were the funniest signs along the way that were motivational but I found this one to be the most inspiring! 
 This was what they call the Ragnar leg and so I won an extra medal! 

 After my team picked me up we were making a U Turn on a road and had to back up a bit to make the full turn. Well, there was a tree stump that we could not see and BAM! But then, Renata used her amazing kick and popped it back into place.  
 We showered and enjoyed some of the added comforts at the end of the race. These compression wraps are wonderful! I tried them after Niagara Ragnar and I will wait in line to use them if there are ever there to try. 

 Check out these trees! 
 Van 1 done! 
Our team finish! Bless Sundra, it was so hot and humid by the time she finished but she finished strong! 
 Our hard earned medals! 
After the results were in, we placed first in the women only team category! Go us!  
Peter ordered this awesomely large cowbell for me for my birthday and my Ragnar shenanigans! 
 This lady is amazing, inspiring, generous, thoughtful, and a true friend! I am so thankful that Peter's job led me to meet Corrine (she is his boss' wife). She is my Ragnar friend and I hope to be able to have many more Ragnar adventures with her - possibly all over the country! 

No comments: